If it is Oktoberfest season, Munich is on everyone’s radar, however this city is worth a look all year long. While not on everyone’s list for a first time visit to Europe, savvy travelers love this quaint city. Many combine it in with a tour around Germany, or pre- or post- river cruising. If you have just a few days there, here are my top recommendations for things to do:
- Take a day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle and Linderhof – The Neuschwanstein Castle was the inspiration for Walt Disney’s castle at Disneyland. It is beautiful! Built by King Ludwig II, it is an extremely popular tourist attraction, so I would book ahead! A visit to Linderhof is often included with this day trip, and it does not disappoint. The full excursion will take about 10-11 hours. Linderhof is another castle built by King Ludwig and was inspired by Versailles.
- Visit the English Garden – Here you will find several Biergartens , a lake, jogging paths and monuments. Locals and visitors alike enjoy this beautiful outdoor space
3.Visit Marienplatz , a beautiful square and the town hall located there.
4. If you find yourself in Munich, you really should visit one of the many, many Biergartens located throughout the city.
5 An extremely worthwhile day trip from Munich is the Dauchau concentration camp. The trip is emotional, but very meaningful. It usually takes about 5-6 hours of your day. 6. The BMW museum is a popular attraction as well. Here you can view BMW concept cars and motorcycles, as well as a car “vending machine” where owners pick out their new cars. Architecture buffs as well as car enthusiasts enjoy this place.
7. The Alte Pinakothek is the Old Picture Gallery, best known for one of the largest collections of Rubens in the world.
8. Climb to the the top of the Church of our Lady to get a great view of the city. This church is easily spotted and worth a look on its own, but the climb to the top is the big draw.
If you only have a few days in town, these are my top recommendations. I hope you get the chance to check out Munich someday. Enjoy!